The health of your hair is an essential investment. Many steps go into maintaining and managing your head daily. If you research the right products and practices and stay consistent with your care, you will be a much happier, more confident (and better-looking) person.
In this article, we provide hair care tips for black men, as well as the best products on the market to keep your hair fresh in the long-term.
Our top 11 picks for the best hair products for black men:
- Scotch Porter Hydrating Hair Wash
- Oyin Juices & Berries Leave-In Tonic
- SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Conditioner
- Aveda Sun Care After Hair Mask
- Bumble And Bumble Grooming Cream
- American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel
- Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil
- Act + Acre Scalp Detox
- Agave Healing Oil Treatment
- Pura D’Or Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
- Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In Moisturizer
The 11 Best Hair Products for Black Men
Proper black men hair care starts with your research on the products that are on the market. Below, we listed out some of the top available choices, which makes them unique, and the benefits and drawbacks.
Through extensive research and insights from the top websites in the industry, we curated a list that will enable you to make an educated purchase decision.
1. Scotch Porter Hydrating Hair Wash
- The woodsy scent is excellent
- Leaves hair with a silky, shiny, attractive look
- The product does not dry out easily
- The bottle design is not strong
- More expensive than alternatives
The Scotch Porter Hydrating Hair Wash is a sulfate-free shampoo option that makes your hair healthier, softer, and significantly more manageable. It gets designed with botanicals, natural ingredients, and essential vitamins, such as B5.
Other shampoos that contain sulfates will cause the hair to become drier and frizzier using it. This product prevents these effects altogether through its formula. A blend of shea butter, silk amino acids, and coconut oil creates a formula that balances, purifies, and repairs the most damaged scalp and hair types.
A lot of users admire the scent of the Scotch Porter Hydrating Hair Wash because of the manly, wooded smell. When stumbling into the shower each morning, the fragrance of the product will wake you while you run it through your hair.
2. Oyin Juices & Berries Leave-In Tonic
The Oyin Juices & Berries Tonic is a hair softener that allows you to style your hair the way you want while adding moisture to the scalp at the same time. The main benefit of this product is that it balances out the pH of your head, which leads to stronger hair protection.
Because Oyin products get designed as a refresher, another great future is that it eliminates knots and tangles within your hair. The formula and ingredients of the Oyin Juices & Berries Tonic provide long-term benefits for hair management.
Herbal tonics like Oyin are excellent for moisturizing your tresses throughout banding and other non-heating techniques for stretching. The combination of citric acid and grapefruit seed extract help in flattening out tresses whenever you take a comb or brush across your head.
3. SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Conditioner
- Thick consistency
- Hydrates the hair efficiently through natural ingredients
- Nourishes the scalp through vitamins and other essential oils
- Easy to apply
- Reduces the breakdown of hairs
- Smell can be overwhelming for specific customers
- Can make the hair difficult to comb while it is wet
The SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Conditioner provides a raw organic product with a natural blend of sea kelp, argan oil, and shea butter. What separates this product is its ability to heal the scalp through its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
The shea butter leads the way in repairing existing damage to the scalp and hair. The sea kelp aids in detoxifying the struggling parts of the head and the argan oil maintains and restores proper hydration through proper nourishment.
The SheaMoisture Intensive Hydration Conditioner also adds a shiny finish to your hair. The blend of organic mafura and baobab oil provides the hair with long-term color and shine.
The culmination of the essential oils helps prevent frizz for people who are more prone to this. Because this product is sulfate and paraben-free, it is a safe choice for any hair.
4. Aveda Sun Care After Hair Mask
- Well-known brand
- A valuable option for the hot summer months
- Can help with swimmers or people who do not respond well with chlorine
- One of the better products for UV protection
- Some users report it smells bad
- If overused, your hair can develop an oily appearance
The Aveda Sun Care After Hair Mask does a great job of helping the hair avoid discolor, split ends, and destroy brittleness. This product is excellent for the summertime because of its UV protection and its replenishing properties.
It is best to apply this after getting exposed to the sun for an extended time or walking in the scorching heat. To give your hair a full, healthy appearance, make sure to let the product remain on your head for at least two minutes.
The main benefit of Aveda is that the product is designed to blend botanical extracts and Morake protein, which helps keep your head safe from free radicals and restores damaged hair. The plant oils within the formula serve as the primary diver of moisturization and conditioning. The 3-part defense system helps with all types of hair, particular those who do not respond well to chlorine or sun exposure.
5. Bumble and Bumble Grooming Cream
- Makes your hair feel great
- Doesn’t leave grease or oil behind
- Leaves no residue or build-up
- This product is unscented
- One of the more expensive options
- Not the best choice for longer hair
The Bumble and Bumble Grooming Cream is excellent for guys who struggle with maintaining curlier locks. The product gets formulated with a blend of sweet almond avocado, safflower oils, and jojoba. Through these ingredients, Bumble and Bumble work to provide natural softness for all types of hair, especially color-treated heads.
The formula also enables the consumer to finish with a smooth, low-shine, matte finish. For guys who are trying to get more pop and color within the curls, this product will boost the volume in these areas. Bumble and Bumble help provide a delicate, firm hold with a consistent definition.
Apart from curlier heads, this product is an excellent alternative for anybody with a thick, dry, rough head of hair with little to no texture. A great feature is the safflower oils, which help give the hair its natural separation and flow.
6. American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel
- Extra firm hold with the dual polymer complex
- Water-soluble solution makes the product non-flaking for after use
- Can get applied to either dry or wet hair
- Aids in hair health because it gets formulated with natural hair extracts
- Hold is not as long-lasting as what consumers initially thought
- Reapplication is necessary
The American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel is a sleek product that works with either dry or wet hair. It is known for preventing and managing frizz through its firm hold. A great feature is the dual polymer complex, which enables the powerful hold with high shine.
Through its application, the American Crew product balances pH, which prevents dry hair and scalp. The formula of sage, ginseng, and vitamin B5 helps to strengthen the individual locks of hair for a thicker look. A lot of styling gels are hard to get out of your hair in the shower.
Because the product is water-soluble, it is simple and straightforward to wash it out of your hair. This benefit prevents annoying flakes from getting left behind in the process.The product is alcohol-free and accommodates an array of different hairstyles.
7. Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil
- 100% pure, cold-pressed, organic, and unrefined argan oil
- Imported from the country of Morocco
- Easy to apply
- Anti-aging properties for wrinkled and dry skin
- People do not prefer the older, “machine-like” smell of the solution
- Price is on the higher than most products on the list
The Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil provides your skin with many health benefits. The argan oil helps increase scalp nourishment and results in anti-aging. The product is designed to manage frizz and product shiny, energized hair.
What the ingredients also provide is protection from environmental damage and harmful free radicals. This alternative is also gets listed as 100% fair trade, pure, and cold-pressed.
What is also a great feature about the Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil is its lightweight, quick-absorbing properties. This benefit gets attributed to its formula, which is full of antioxidants, such as vitamin E and essential fatty acids.
The product is also designed to reduce the effects of stretch marks, sunburns, and other scars. You can use Poppy Austin to soften and treat nails, cuticles, and heels. You can also correctly tend to chapped lips, acne, and psoriasis because of the argan oil.
8. Act + Acre Scalp Detox
- Excellent product for those with an itchy scalp
- Helps address irritation, burning, and soreness
- Free from parabens and other sulfates
- Environmentally friendly product and company
- Customers say it can be too oily at times
- More expensive than other products
The Act + Acre Scalp Detox provides the hair with stimulant-based oils that create strength and moisture for a more refreshing look. The product does an excellent job of delivering the necessary nutrients to the hair follicle, which aids in the long-term health of your scalp.
A great feature of the Act + Acre Formula is that it is free of silicones, sulfates, and it is gluten-free. It is also vegan toxin and chemical-free.
The bottles get manufactured from an environmentally minimalized form of plastic that uses 90% less energy in the process. A unique aspect of the Act + Acre Scalp Detox is the cold process method.
Through the combination of essential oils and other ingredients, heat gets eliminated by using high pressure and cold water, which allows the product to maintain high nutrient levels. This benefit enables the active ingredients to remain potent through a much more natural process.
9. Agave Healing Oil Treatment
- Makes hair shinier and rejuvenates all parts of the hair follicle
- Relives you of any residue
- Protects you from humidity
- Can sometimes be waxy
- Pump is not easy to use
The Agave Healing Oil Treatment helps drive the effort of restoring frizzy and damaged hair. The product gets the design to rejuvenate roots through safflower and sunflower oils.
The formula, combined with vanilla and coconut, helps nourish the outer level of your skin and scalp. Another great feature of the Agave Healing Oil Treatment is that it aids in strengthening and maintaining color in your hair.
The Madagascar baobab seed oil also helps in helping add moisture to the outer level of the skin, which helps in retaining great vibrancy in the nose as well. The ending result is that it adds shine back into your hair and blocks out sources of humidity.
The agave plant sugars play a pivotal role in locking in the moisture so that this can smooth out frizz, create more shine, and manage the curls. It non-greasy and lightweight, which makes it easy to apply. The application gets done by working a small amount of the product through your dry or damp hair.
10. Pura D’Or Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo
- Excellent product for people with thinning hair.
- Biotin helps to strengthen your hair.
- Zinc and vitamin E oil help to maintain a healthy scalp.
- Has natural DHT blockers, keeping hair from falling out.
- A bit pricey for everyday use.
- All of the oils do leave some residue.
- Better for combating scalp and hair issues than for everyday use.
The Pura D’Or Anti-Hair Loss Shampoo is a sulfate-free shampoo that is full of essential oils like argan oil. These valuable ingredients aids in preventing weak hair from deteriorating.
This benefit gets attributed to the Moroccan oil, which helps nourish the follicles and hair shift with nutrients that help fight the damage and encourage growth. This product is suitable for hair that is itchy or contains dandruff.
It contains Zinc Pyrithione, which fights bacteria in the scalp and contributes to excellent hair texture. Pura D’Or also gets formulated with essential vitamins that continuously work to hydrate the scalp and counteract brittle strands, dryness aid in hair management.
The valuable blend of nettle extract, pumpkin seed, biotin, and cumin seed oil contribute to the protective abilities and strength of the product as a whole.
11. Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In Moisturizer
- Controls frizz efficiently
- The application and effects are tangle-free
- Adds shiny look and keeps curls popped
- The foam consistency gives you a lighter alternative
- Has lavender, which some people are allergic to
- Consistency is too watery for some people
Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Leave-In Moisturizer provides two essential benefits in moisturizing hair, but also fixing in essential oils to help stop the breakdown of hair follicles. The ending result of this product is hair that is fully hydrated and nourished.
It applies to all hair types, including curly, kinky, and wavy. The formula blends sweet almond oils, shea butter, cocoa, and soybeans to help condition your strands at all parts. The wheat germ oil also locks in moisture, which contributes to the healthy shine and finishes.
There are no sulfates, mineral oils, parabens, artificial colors, or petroleum in this product, which makes it even more all-natural. It also gets mixed with agave nectar, which aids in moisture support, as well as pro-vitamin B5.
Finding the Best Hair Products for Black Men
There are five crucial things to keep as you purchase and use your hair products. Each one of these reminders should not get neglected. If you can devote proper time to all these hair tips for black men, your head will be more fresh, lively, and radiant.
In most hair cleansers, some chemicals and soaps are used in the manufacturing process. If you shampoo daily, it deprives your hair of the natural oils that are created by the scalp.
This issue can cause flaky hair and dandruff, especially during the winter and colder months. The proper shampoo frequency for black men should be about once per week.
Whenever there are hard weather conditions, your hair can dry out quickly. This process requires you to hydrate and moisturize daily. When looking at products, it is better to lean toward options that contain more natural ingredients.
Specifically, the best moisturizer components are shea butter, olive oil, and coconut oil. These additives help retain moisture more efficiently and combat flakiness.
Wear a Low Maintenance Hair Style
Spending less time on maintaining your hair means more time to devote to caring for your hair in other ways. Hairstyles like the mini fro-hawk, taper fade, Caesar, and crew cut are all simple, manageable, and quality options for black men.
Wash Hair on a Regular Frequency
Even though you should not shampoo consistently, it is vital to wash your hair every day. During hotter periods like the summer, you sweat at an increased rate when you walk outside. Your head also dries out and gets greasier faster. Whenever you sweat, your scalp becomes dirty, and this is a critical time to wash your hair.
Use Natural Hair Shampoo
Natural hair shampoos contain a pH-balanced formula that softens your hair and improves the look and feel of it. A lot of retail shampoos provide a detergent called sodium lauryl sulfate (STS) that cleanses your hair.
While it is vital to incorporate these types of products for your scalp, natural products can eliminate the oily layer that protects your hair.
Types of Hair
When choosing the right products for yourself, it is vital to understand what type of hair you have. There are specific alternatives that will work better or are specialized for certain hairstyles.
Chemicals That Harm Hair the Most
There are many hair product ingredients to keep track of when choosing the right product for you. It is essential for you as the consumer to be aware of the red flags and dangerous chemicals.
When researching products or looking at all of the different bottle labels, there are four significant components to analyze.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate is a chemical that causes hair to dry out.
- Isopropyl alcohol also contributes to hair loss and follicle breakdown.
- Propylene glycol affects the scalp by causing irritation and itching.
- Polyethylene glycol weakens the individual hairs and makes them brittle and prone to falling out.
What Are the Best Hair Products for Black Men?
Taking active steps in keeping your hair moisturized is one of the more critical investments in our health. It enables you to look and feel your best. Owning a solution that keeps your skin healthy and nourished will create a lot less stress for you and the management of your hair.
Make sure to choose products that are made specifically for your hair type, and do not be afraid to try different things. Take not on what works and what does not. Look for products with all-natural ingredients, free of parabens, sulfates, and other drying ingredients.
Search for options that are wealthy in oils, essential vitamins, and beneficial oils like olive, coconut, emu, or jojoba. Most importantly, be confident in who you are and who you can become. There are many products out there that can help take your health to a higher level. Good luck with your decision-making process!